Rabu, 13 Juli 2011

How Big is Indonesia’s Mobile Internet Users ?


Well I certainly don’t have the exact number, I guess only the Telco’s has it, but in my field it’s required for me to at least have an indication of how big is the mobile internet market, so this is a blog about my findings








Facts :
  •            All ad networks claims Indonesia has a very HUGE  mobile internet traffic we are number 1 in the South East Asia, and one of the big 5 in the world, our competitors are USA, UK, India and China , sources from admob, inmobi, buzzcity, admoda, and all the literatures you can find in the internet will confirm this claim, but as one of the industry player, my concern is not only how big is the mobile internet traffic, I also need to know how many unique users is using mobile internet, because in the end all goes back to user’s buying power - which leads to how many individuals are actually willing and paying in the mobile internet
  •        The most used browser in Indonesia is : native browser and Opera mini browser, Opera has been very aggressive penetrating Indonesian market, Opera is distributed via Telkomsel and also via handset manufacturer, Opera even targeted Chinese handset manufacturer.

So understanding those 2 simple facts I’ve made up a small analysis :
1.       From Opera mini browser data, we know there is 18 mio Opera mini user in Indonesia
2.       So from the 160mio + SIM Card that is claimed to have been sold by the operator only 18mio uses opera or have downloaded Opera browser à quite a shocking number
3.       But let’s not forget there’s the native browser that we haven’t counted, so from my conversation with adnetwork company, they claimed Opera browser traffic  take up 70% from all Indonesian mobile internet traffic
4.       So if we do a simple math 18 mio equals to 70% Indonesia’s mobile internet traffic so 100% would be around 25.7 mio user ? so from the 160mio SIM Card sold only 25.7 mio user uses mobile internet ?
5.       Facebook claimed they have 36mio Indonesian user and 70% access from mobile so that means around 25.2mio user ? - so this number does tally with point 4
6.       But Telkomsel claim to have 80 mio GPRS user à I would assume 80 mio is the GPRS enabled user, that doesn’t mean all the 80 mio is GPRS user

Well, from my crude analysis I concluded : the unique number of Indonesia’s Mobile internet I would say around 25mio, is anyone out there has a different calculation ? please do let me know :D

So what does this facts tell us ? what opportunities  does Indonesia's Mobile Internet Market has? One thing for sure 25 mio is still a very attractive market, but what about their spending pattern ? their behavior ? their interest ? hmmm.. for that I can not say :D that knowledge is exclusively owned by my employer :D

image copyright : getty images

1 komentar:

zaswer mengatakan...

sander gw ambil artikel ini ya, ijin copas